Saturday 24 August 2013

Family Courts and the Press


Yesterday in one of Britain’s national newspapers, there was a horrifying article which names children following a custody battle in the civil courts and provides pictures of them and discusses all kinds of family details in a lurid tabloid sort of way.

I’m not going to provide a link to it, or name the paper in question, because that would be like re-publishing it.

I think it is shocking that this sort of article can appear in any newspaper, let alone a mass circulation one. I opposed easing reporting restrictions in the Family Courts. But I have had to accept that I was on the loosing side of that debate, in which those in favour pointed to all kinds of safeguards that they said would prevent individual families and children being identified and children’s rights to privacy being flouted.

I think those who so cheerily sought to ‘open up’ the family courts should now take stock and revisit the issue because this type of article has the potential to ruin children’s lives.