Friday 14 October 2011

Publish and be damned!

I recently wanted a copy of the Executive Summary of a Serious Case Review report. I knew it was available because I could read all about it in the Daily Mail and in the Guardian. However, when I looked on the Local Safeguarding Children Board’s website (I won’t say which one) I couldn’t find a copy to download. An email inquiry received the response that it hadn’t yet been published yet and I would just have to wait. Well it may not have been 'published' but mainstream journalists clearly had been given copies.

I don’t think that is right. I can’t help wondering who is more important - the press or the British public? By the time ordinary people are able to see the report the 'red tops' will already have created their 'official' version of it and it will be yesterday's news. So much for transparency, openness, accountability and the democratic process.