Saturday 22 July 2017

Confidential Hearings

I have always believed that legal proceedings concerning children should be held in camera

I don’t think it is right for the press to be able to stir up public feelings to try to influence the way in which a court decides about a child. To have the likes of Katie Hopkins and Christopher Booker pontificating on children’s cases before the courts churns my stomach.

My instincts are very much confirmed by what I read in the Guardian about the case of Charlie Gard. Apparently, staff at Great Ormond Street hospital are now receiving death threats.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/22/great-ormond-street-staff-receive-death-threats-over-charlie-gard

That is no way to conduct very serious legal proceedings about the life of a child. All hearings about children should be held behind closed doors for a very obvious purpose; to protect the best interests of the child.